This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Obama Plates = Unpatriotic?

Being a bookstore, I have to wonder how people think we have X item that is completely unrelated to books. This one has taken the cake.

Two women come in and ask if we have Obama Collector's Plates. I tell her no, we don't have them. Then she asks where she could get them. I tell her "The TV or Internet" because thats the only places i've seen them. Not good enough for her, as she get's angry at that response and tells me and my company are "Unpatriotic" for not supporting the President.

As they leave, Coin Collector Co-Worker has heard the exchange, and as I vent, he jokes 'Hey, they might've chewed you out more if you didn't give them an Obama Quarter or Half Dollar in their change."

except that they don't issue any US president's face on a coin until a year after death. so, if they ask for *that* i'd be apt to start laughing my ass off at them.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
      except that they don't issue any US president's face on a coin until a year after death. so, if they ask for *that* i'd be apt to start laughing my ass off at them.
      Obviously you need to watch more TV. they have us currency with Obama painted on. ONe of them looks like a bad photoshop.

Comment

So...

Don't have any Obama plates, huh ?

I call that EXTREMELY patriotic

How on earth could anyone think those things are useful, or going to be valuable ?

But damn you for no Obama coins !!

I just know you don't have any !!

Dammit !! ~ Jack Bauer

Comment

Some of the coins they advertise don't even look like Obama. One of them looks like they had the machine set up to print a picture of Bush and just changed the color of the paint. But if you can come up with a way to get people to pay $20 for a $.25 piece more power to you.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
            Don't forget USPS stamps!!!!
            Unseen but seeing
            oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
            There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
            3rd shift needs love, too
            RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth jerkface11 View Post
              Some of the coins they advertise don't even look like Obama. One of them looks like they had the machine set up to print a picture of Bush and just changed the color of the paint.
              Something like the middle pic?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Ree; 02-16-2009, 04:45 PM. Reason: Picture added as attachment

Comment

Quoth Danno View Post
                Something like the middle pic?
                Nice. What program do you use?
                Last edited by Ree; 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM. Reason: Removed image from quote.
                Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                HR believes the first person in the door
                Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                Document everything
                CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I can't take credit, it's just sort of floating around the internet now. I've failed at figuring out the original source, but admittedly didn't look past the first couple pages of google.

Comment

You should have directed her to the shelves with Obama's BOOK, then asked her how "unpatriotic" your store is.

Ass.
                    "This is the first time I've seen you look ugly, and that makes me happy!"

Comment

walgreenes has the plates (disappears)

Comment

You know what's truly unpatriotic?

The grocery store being out of hotdogs on the 4th of July.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                          You know what's truly unpatriotic?

The grocery store being out of hotdogs on the 4th of July.
                          BLASPHEMY!!!!!! Did they at least have beer and fireworks?
                          "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Thank you for that, Danno! The morphing is amazing.!

Why do people think that buying kitsch supports the agenda of a political figure? I remember the ashtrays that came out in the late 60s with the images of JFK, RFK and MLK. Yes, it's a touching thing to see three good men who died before their time on one piece of china but is it really right to be stubbing butts out on their faces?

Also, these mass produced things are not likely to be worth much in the future. How much is a mug from Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee worth today? At the time, almost every kid in the UK had one.

Some of the earlier posters got it just right. You support a political leader by reading the books written by or about her/him and make your decisions based on what you can learn.

there's supposedly an Amish saying, "Kissin' don't last. Cookin' does." Let's amend that say, "Kitsch don't last. Cogitatin' does."

Ask the women who lust for plates if they have ever read books written by or about their political idol. Reading what the person has to say and reading what others have to say about her or him is the best way to show support. A plate may break. What you read will stay in your mind and make you think.
                            Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-10-2009, 05:52 PM. Reason: partial duplicate....
                            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                              BLASPHEMY!!!!!! Did they at least have beer and fireworks?
                              My state wouldn't. Only beverage distributors and bars are allowed to sell beer, and fireworks are illegal, except for the wussy snakes and sparklers. I don't even consider those fireworks.
                              Sometimes life is altered.
                              Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                              Uneasy with confrontation.
                              Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Working...
                              X