Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I knew from the moment the infomercial first came on that I wanted Obama plates... not just one, but a full set, to use at dinner parties! You bet I'd use them, and nothing says freedom like polishing off a pork chop, mashed potatoes, and green peas to see the visage of the President!

Also, the plates only cost $20 apiece. The china that my wife wants to buy costs $50 or so per dinner plate. So we's actually be saving money!
    "Them boys ain't zombies! They're just stupid!"

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
      You support a political leader by reading the books written by or about her/him and make your decisions based on what you can learn.

there's supposedly an Amish saying, "Kissin' don't last. Cookin' does." Let's amend that say, "Kitsch don't last. Cogitatin' does."
      Exactly! But unfortunately, popular culture is all about feeling the emotion that an event provides, and not about what its intellectual realities are. That's why things that are an icon of an event (presidential coins, license plates) will always trump books in popular society. This is because books have only token iconic value, being merely the tools of intellectual understanding of the event in question.
      Who hears all your prayers? Why, the NSA, of course!

Comment

What you read will stay in your mind and make you think.
        Mind you, if Bush writes like he speaks, it would probably kill brain cells.
        I AM the evil bastard!
        A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
          My state wouldn't. Only beverage distributors and bars are allowed to sell beer, and fireworks are illegal, except for the wussy snakes and sparklers. I don't even consider those fireworks.
          That is how it is here
          Under The Moon Paranormal Research
          San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
            Mind you, if Bush writes like he speaks, it would probably kill brain cells.
            Keep the political comments off of here, please. We have Fratching for that.
            Sometimes life is altered.
            Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
            Uneasy with confrontation.
            Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth Bramblerose View Post
              Obviously you need to watch more TV. they have us currency with Obama painted on. ONe of them looks like a bad photoshop.
              Coins yes, but those are collectors coins. They're not official US Currency.

Anyone can get those coins like that minted actually. Just run a google search on "Challenge Coins".
              The only drawback is that it can get pretty expensive once you start adding in colors and paints.

As for the coins you're talking about... the ones bearing Obama's face and a $1... aren't legal currency, despite the "$1" marks on them.
              http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/index...hotitems#obama

Quoth US Mint
              These items are not official United States Mint products. Furthermore, these products, businesses, and advertisements are not approved, endorsed, sponsored, or authorized by the United States Mint, the Department of the Treasury, or the United States Government.
              Last edited by PepperElf; 02-11-2009, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Quoth JuniorMintz View Post
                You should have directed her to the shelves with Obama's BOOK, then asked her how "unpatriotic" your store is.
                You support a political leader by reading the books written by or about her/him and make your decisions based on what you can learn.
                Whoa. You guys ARE naive, aren't you?

Expecting a US citizen to read something deep and try to understand what is going on in the world? Isn't that why we have talk radio and Entertainment Tonight and all those talking heads on the "news" channels? Those things exist just so no one has to bother with reading and using brain cells to contemplate anything beyond knee jerk reactions and catchy sound bites.

It is much easier and simpler just to show off a plate or lapel pin and/or to spout someone else's opinions than to have to think for one's self.

Ditto, anyone?
                "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
                .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Oh... hold on suckey customer. Let me reach into my magical back room and get that for ya. While I'm at it do you want some shamies, magical exploding cleaner, or Hollywood diet drink?

Nothing is more patriotic than eating spaghetti off a plate with the president on it.

How are those plates a collectors item? Is there a market for them? Do they drastically increase in value? Does a limated run of 100,000 plates make them collectable? I guess I should go get some of that real Liberian Currency to go along them.
                  "Wow, that has to be the best genital analogy EVER. "

Comment

Quoth MadMike View Post
                    Only beverage distributors and bars are allowed to sell beer, and fireworks are illegal, except for the wussy snakes and sparklers.
                    Odd...there are usually tents selling fireworks shortly before July 4th all over the place here. Probably some loophole or something.
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

PA posters, correct me if I'm wrong but when I lived in NJ I was under the impression that you could buy fireworks in PA as long as you lived out of state and could prove it.

Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth ShootMePlease View Post
                        How on earth could anyone think those things are useful?
                        If you don't like his policies, you could use the plate for a dog's feed bowl?

Quoth Salesmonkey View Post
                        Also, the plates only cost $20 apiece.
                        $100 for a set of five.

Comment

Becks, I'm not sure about that. All I know is, that in the past several years, there are huge tents, usually in parking lots (or in one case, right next to one of the county airport runways ) just packed with fireworks. Odd, because you couldn't get any of that here--to get anything, even those stupid snakes, you had to go out of state.
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                            BAs they leave, Coin Collector Co-Worker has heard the exchange, and as I vent, he jokes 'Hey, they might've chewed you out more if you didn't give them an Obama Quarter or Half Dollar in their change."

Like this one?
                            Last edited by Ree; 02-16-2009, 04:53 PM. Reason: Added text as we do not allow image only posts

Comment

Quoth MTNLaurelPoacher View Post

Nothing is more patriotic than eating spaghetti off a plate with the president on it.
                              I think those plates are meant for display only.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                                I think those plates are meant for display only.
                                But the lead paint makes my tongue all tingly!
                                http://footloosecomic.com Pirate Faeries!!

Comment

Working...
                                X