X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    Becks, I'm not sure about that.
    Ah.

I think I saw that in the (Newark, NJ) Star Ledger.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth atomicthumbs View Post
      Like this one?
      o gawd... who made THAT monstrosity?
      i mean it's one thing to make a collector's coin... and another thing to try make it resemble US currency... and then do a horrible job at doing it.

later when I have time I'll scan one of my collector coins in and post it...
      the one i just pulled from my pocket is made by nwtmint.com (tho i'll prolly put it in a different thread)
      Last edited by Ree; 02-16-2009, 04:54 PM. Reason: Removed image from quote

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
        i mean it's one thing to make a collector's coin... and another thing to try make it resemble US currency... and then do a horrible job at doing it.
        That is a legal US coin. Someone just painted Obama's picture on it. A lot of the collector coins are painted US coins. They are still legal, but have a picture painted on them. The earlier cite from the US Mint was saying the painted coin was not a US Mint product. The coin beneath the paint is still a legal coin.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Give it a few months and none of the printed money will be legal tender. His face on it or not.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
          ~Clerks

Comment

I certainly hope you've learned your lesson and will stock all sorts of Obama merchandise in the future! You must put together a dedicated Barack Obama section to atone for your sins!

(If they come back, tell them that you have some Bush plates left over and they're almost as patriotic. )

Hehehe... I did. The $600 for Photoshop was really worth it.

(Where'd my post go? )
            Last edited by atomicthumbs; 02-13-2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Quoth atomicthumbs View Post
              I certainly hope you've learned your lesson and will stock all sorts of Obama merchandise in the future! You must put together a dedicated Barack Obama section to atone for your sins!
              "Section"? Not good enough.... for those types you need to call it a shrine!

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
              ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                That is a legal US coin. Someone just painted Obama's picture on it. A lot of the collector coins are painted US coins. They are still legal, but have a picture painted on them. The earlier cite from the US Mint was saying the painted coin was not a US Mint product. The coin beneath the paint is still a legal coin.
                actually wouldn't that be considered defacing us currency?
                i mean heck, let's all start painting our loose change!.... i'll have to look it up but... my first instinct is that panting anything on a quarter would be illegal.

and as for my original comment about obama on a coin im referring to the official mint currency images, not what joe shmo does with a paintbrush.

like the jfk coins that came out after he was killed etc.

edit:
                http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/usc...1----000-.html

after reading that, i'm not sure if you can use the obamaquarter as legal tender. though i am sure different people will want to interpret the law differently.
                Last edited by PepperElf; 02-13-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Quoth LibraryLady View Post
                  How much is a mug from Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee worth today? At the time, almost every kid in the UK had one.

$375
                  http://www.goantiques.com/detail,que...nd,696953.html
                  You've got a real problem all right, and a banjo is the only answer! - Pinkie Pie

Comment

after reading that, i'm not sure if you can use the obamaquarter as legal tender. though i am sure different people will want to interpret the law differently.
                    It may not be legal tender, but I will sell this picture of an Obama quarter to you for $100. It's a limited-edition proof!

Comment

It actually deals with permanent damage. Paint can be removed off coins and then it's legal tender. Punching a hole in it on the other hand is kind of tough to repair.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                        Punching a hole in it on the other hand is kind of tough to repair.
                        That's why first-run twonies were so much fun. They punched holes in themselves! One kid in my class got the outer part stuck on his finger, and the shop teacher had to use the band saw to cut the metal off.
                        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Thanks, Amethyst Squirrel. I'm surprised it's that much.

Also, a upscale shop in the neighborhood is now featuring (you guessed it) a glass Obama dish and vase in the window Oh noes!!!!11ty.
                          Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            That's why first-run twonies were so much fun. They punched holes in themselves! One kid in my class got the outer part stuck on his finger, and the shop teacher had to use the band saw to cut the metal off.
                            Probably didn't hurt as much as when he realized he could have sold it for over $200.
                            I AM the evil bastard!
                            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Lol. Turns out those coins are fake:
                              http://www.katu.com/home/video/39598...?video=YHI&t=a
                              Last edited by MadMike; 02-16-2009, 04:06 PM. Reason: Removed political comment, which everybody knows do not belong here.

~Clerks

Comment

o man i feel bad for those guys.... they believed they were buying official US mint coins, issued with obama's face etc...

I already posted when a coin like that can be issued (one year after death) but I guess some people didn't know that ... or assumed the mint would ignore their own laws just for the special occasion.

seriously... they'd have been better off getting their own coins made. they wouldn't be official currency but they'd look a hell of a lot better than just a 50-cent piece with a sticker on it!
                                Last edited by PepperElf; 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X