Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching For Potential Shoplifters (and Jackasses)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see all these posts saying $10/hr. is a really good wage. Then I think back to 2 years ago, when the McDonalds down the street from me was offering that as a starting wage. That was back during a massive labour shortage though, so I think it's calmed down a bit since then. Still, minimum wage here is $8.80/hr. Y'all should move up here!
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I'm excited now cuz I'm making more than minimum wage. That's all. Just finally excited I make more than NY's minimum wage.

Comment

Quoth Crab View Post
        On a side note, I'm always amazed at the minimum wage in the US. Over here it's £5.73 (or £4.76 or £3.53 if you're under 21/18), which is $8, but over $11 not too long ago. And there's some note of increasing it (at least in certain areas) because it's not a living wage.
        $10/hour is certainly not to be sniffed at though, here or there.
        you should see the 30 days episode about minimum wage.
        we have increased to 7:25 this year starting in july i believe but yeah until like 4 years ago it was 5.15

Comment

Man, I've had jobs where I get paid five fifteen an hour. Ten bucks is freaking awesome! Stupid kids relying on their parents. Were they teenagers--I'm guessing old enough to know better! I make about ten something and let me tell you I think its awesome cuz we're the highest paid cage cashiers where I live.

I want to scream at those jerks. Hell, even seven dollars is nothing to sneeze at. Wait until they have to get a job and realize money does NOT grow on trees. I'm glad you refused them. Jerks.

Comment

Quoth Crab View Post
            On a side note, I'm always amazed at the minimum wage in the US. Over here it's £5.73 (or £4.76 or £3.53 if you're under 21/18), which is $8, but over $11 not too long ago. And there's some note of increasing it (at least in certain areas) because it's not a living wage.
            $10/hour is certainly not to be sniffed at though, here or there.
            True, but cost of living is higher in the UK.

And I make minimum wage in the popcorn monkey half of my job, and with working tax credit and the higher paid portion of my job, I can just about make ends meet as a single bloke. I wouldn't want to be on minimum wage alone.
            "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
              True, but cost of living is higher in the UK.

And I make minimum wage in the popcorn monkey half of my job, and with working tax credit and the higher paid portion of my job, I can just about make ends meet as a single bloke. I wouldn't want to be on minimum wage alone.
              <\history>
              Also, in the US, the minimum wage was meant for workers just entering the workforce. It was origionally expected that people making that would move on to better wages once they proved their worth/learned the ropes. It was not meant to be a living wage when origionally put into practice.
              <\history off>
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Alright now im assuming you're american.

but WHAT IS the min. wage in the states? has it STILL not gone up from like... $5.25 or whatever horriblely low amount it was a few years back?

thats criminal, no wonder so many people struggle to make ends meet.

Up here (Canada, yea yea *insert americas hat joke here*) it's.. 9.75/hr or 9.85 or something it's hovering around the $10 mark @ the moment.

in the last 8 years it went up $3/hr (as when i was 16 i was making 6.45/hr at my min. wage job).

even that doesn't feel like enough to live on but it's at least CLOSE to $10/hr.

anyways, back to topic at hand. Yes stupid moronic kids (i'm assuming they were teens?) glad you refused em service and kicked them out.
                Common sense... So rare it's a goddamn superpower.

Comment

Ten dollars is awesome!!! That's high pay out here! I make like almost eleven and to me that is awesome and took me three years to get. I was excited about making 8.25 when I first started. Hell, my lowest paying job was 5.15 and that was just a few years ago. I'd wanna bitchslap that guy!

Comment

I'd imagine little assholes who talk shit like that--are still in high school--and still being fed the "if you do well, you won't have to take THAT kind of job".... which so many of us were fed. That kind of job being anything in the service industry, anything involving fast food or a cash register. Because, after all, everyone knows only stupid people who can't possibly get a job doing anything but the most menial tasks have those jobs.

Hopefully, in a few years, or sooner, they'll get that dose of reality, where they'll learn that most of the folks they meet doing those jobs are just like them.

Some really really stupid (omg, some just blindingly stupid--the ones you wonder how they function without an aide), some so intelligent/wise/insightful that you wonder what on earth they are doing working next to you when they obviously should be doing x,y and z--because seriously, they are just that much smarter than everyone else (but you figure, they have their reasons...)and then there is everyone else.

Neither smarter or dumber than everyone else, just working, to make a living, to pay the bills, to feed the kids, etc.

At first though, they'll be working, thinking, somehow--they're better than everyone else there. That everyone else there is somehow too dumb to breathe, because after all, why would someone stay in that sort of job.

Similar to the new workers--are the former white collar people--who come in thinking "this job is obviously going to be a cake walk" and "my co-workers are all morons", only to get schooled. Because, the only people who think retail or the service industry are EASY haven't worked in them. Yes, you can get a job running a register with no experiance. Yes, you can stock shelves without a degree, but that doesn't mean it doesn't drain you physically and emotionally. They don't tend to last very long.

Teenagers don't have a clue. Even the ones who do, don't. It's just the way they are.

(re: the minimum wage increase. I'm glad it's gone up, because my state is the same as federal, but dang, even though I do still make more than the minimum, it's now not very much more, and is making me just want to give up and quit. I mean, if I got another job, I'd make only a tiny bit less than what I make now--where I've been working for 3+ years, with several pay increases. I'm a bit bitter/pissed about that.)

Sorry about the long post. I don't intend to do it, it just happens... honest.
                    you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                      but WHAT IS the min. wage in the states? has it STILL not gone up from like... $5.25 or whatever horriblely low amount it was a few years back?

thats criminal, no wonder so many people struggle to make ends meet.

Up here (Canada, yea yea *insert americas hat joke here*) it's.. 9.75/hr or 9.85 or something it's hovering around the $10 mark @ the moment.
                      Slight issue here is that though they're both named 'dollar', they're different currencies. Even using an exchange rate calculator doesn't really work, as costs of living will vary (often even within countries as large as the two in question).

When I first got to Canadalandialand and we were eating out, the bill was astoundingly cheap. Meal prices are lower over there than here in the UK, and the exchange rate was particularly delightful at the time. It was embarrassing to just chip in for the meal, and despite protests I occasionally insisted on paying for the lot and leaving everyone else to deal with the tip. With the difference in living costs and the exchange rate, it was effectively what I'd pay for one person dining out over here.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth QASlave View Post
                        I asked him how many of his clients were the kids of weathly parents who had given them everything material that they ever wanted, then showed them the door when they graduated high school, without a clue to how the real world works. His response? 75 to 80%.

The kids don't have a clue, because the PARENTS didn't give them one. The parents are too busy staying rich to spend any quality time with the kids.
                        That was The Twit in a nutshell (she was getting a--to me--insanely huge monthly stipend from her dad which she tended to rub in my face). The kid wanted to open an art gallery on Canyon Road (you're looking at $3M for the physical space alone) with nary a lick of business sense--tbh her artistic ability was also pretty bad, I took more interesting and better-composed photos than she could.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The news reports get really interesting here every time someone tries to get a state-mandated minimum wage increase here (I don't think it's ever passed) -- The local places always threaten to either close down or fire 60% of their staff, especially if they try to get restaurants to do it.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth MergedLoki View Post
                            Alright now im assuming you're american.

It varies by state. IL is $8 an hour, whereas WI is lower.

I make 30 cents more than IL min.wage and I am very happy with that. $8.30 for an 18 year old at McD's is not bad at all.

If I made an extra $1.70, I would be a very happy panda.

Those kids are just dumb.
                            "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

I'd have to agree with asshole kid in that $10 an hour sucks. It's well under minimum wage here- which is the equivalent of $12.24 (I'm on about $14ish). However, this may be due to the atrocious cost of living in Ireland, particularly Dublin

I thought UK minimum wage is bad but the US ones take the biscuit.

Comment

Quoth simplyanother View Post
                                I'd imagine little assholes who talk shit like that--are still in high school--and still being fed the "if you do well, you won't have to take THAT kind of job".... which so many of us were fed. That kind of job being anything in the service industry, anything involving fast food or a cash register. Because, after all, everyone knows only stupid people who can't possibly get a job doing anything but the most menial tasks have those jobs.

Hopefully, in a few years, or sooner, they'll get that dose of reality, where they'll learn that most of the folks they meet doing those jobs are just like them.

Some really really stupid (omg, some just blindingly stupid--the ones you wonder how they function without an aide), some so intelligent/wise/insightful that you wonder what on earth they are doing working next to you when they obviously should be doing x,y and z--because seriously, they are just that much smarter than everyone else (but you figure, they have their reasons...)and then there is everyone else.

Neither smarter or dumber than everyone else, just working, to make a living, to pay the bills, to feed the kids, etc.

At first though, they'll be working, thinking, somehow--they're better than everyone else there. That everyone else there is somehow too dumb to breathe, because after all, why would someone stay in that sort of job.

Similar to the new workers--are the former white collar people--who come in thinking "this job is obviously going to be a cake walk" and "my co-workers are all morons", only to get schooled. Because, the only people who think retail or the service industry are EASY haven't worked in them. Yes, you can get a job running a register with no experiance. Yes, you can stock shelves without a degree, but that doesn't mean it doesn't drain you physically and emotionally. They don't tend to last very long.

Well said. I forgot which website it was but I remember this one post that pissed me off. It was this guy telling retail workers that they should quite complaining on said message board about work that they should be lucky to have their jobs and that he would love to work for minimum wage as a waiter with "added tips". He even managed to throw in "the customer is always right".

Comment

Working...
                                X