Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching For Potential Shoplifters (and Jackasses)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
    Slight issue here is that though they're both named 'dollar', they're different currencies. Even using an exchange rate calculator doesn't really work, as costs of living will vary (often even within countries as large as the two in question).
    Minimum wage is generally higher in Canada, and cost of living generally lower. Even with the currency exchange. I'm usually amazed at the cost of things in the US. No offense to my southern neighbours, but with the cost of living, minimum wage and cost of health care down there I have nfi how some of you survive sometimes. ><

Same with the UK, honestly. I have a few friends across the pond and usually choke when they tell me how much something costs. Especially anything housing related.

Ironically, I'm not allowed to say how much I make anymore. Its super sekret under NDA now. >.> Though it is a fair bit more than minimum wage. It began at 10$/hour. But that was over 6 years ago.

My mom made me get my first job when I was 13-14. So I knew what it was like working for myself.
    Last edited by Gravekeeper; 08-02-2009, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
      No offense to my southern neighbours, but with the cost of living, minimum wage and cost of health care down there I have nfi how some of you survive sometimes. ><
      Funny, I've often wondered the same thing m'self. But hey, paycheck is as paycheck does, and I've learned to commit incredibly frugal feats for the sake of paying rent.

Re: Healthcare? Cross my fingers and hope really really hard I don't get sick. :P

Comment

I do recall when a number of places here were getting "generous" with their wages...right after Katrina, when they were desperate for workers. Places like BK and Wendy's were offering what is -- for here -- sky-high wages: $8.50~10US per hour for full-time workers, plus $250/mo bonus for the first 6 months to a year if you stayed on. Certain areas offered better money than others for the exact same positions. Prior to the Big K, $8.50/hr was considered Manager Pay. Once things settled down, I'm sure they dropped right back down again, at least for the new hires...

Consider that the cost of living here is supposedly almost as much as Atlanta's, but the average salary here is ten grand less per year.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Oh, yes... Arrogant little pricks.

I come from a relatively upper-middle-class family. My dad works in the park service, my mom was a teacher. We have money. But that doesn't mean I wasn't taught that I have to work damn hard, and not because "Otherwise I'll end up working a cash register" but because working hard is what you do. I don't look at the people at McDonalds and think "Oh, those poor people" I look at people working at McDonalds and think that they're good people who deserve some appreciation, especially from the stupid people who think that doing a job like that is easy. I worked at Ye Olde Video Shoppe for a while, and my boss there is one of the most honest and hardworking people I've ever known. I have more respect for her than I do for a lot of people. And the rich spoiled brats I know who think doing a job like that is easy have never done it.
          Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

Comment

I remember

back in college I was planning n moving out of my parents house( I paid rent and helped out) and I could not believe what the people were like at one place.

They told me they didn't work and that they were all going overseas for the summer but their parents were going to keep paying rent. I was like WTF?
            I worked almost full time and studied full time and when I think about it, who is better off in terms of life experience?

(and no I did not move in, my mum got sick so I stayed and looked after the household)

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
              I don't look at the people at McDonalds and think "Oh, those poor people" I look at people working at McDonalds and think that they're good people who deserve some appreciation, especially from the stupid people who think that doing a job like that is easy.
              Yeah, I do look at people who work at those kind of jobs and think "Oh, those poor people," because I'm aware of how much Suck they have to put up with on a daily basis. I always try to be as nice and low-impact on their lives as I can.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Minimum wage is different in all the provinces in Canada...in Ontario where I live it is over $8. However, when I go to the States I'm always astonished about how inexpensive everything is. I guess that's why minimum wage is lower, because you don't need as much for a living wage. I make 17.50/hr daytime, and 14/hour after 4pm as a lifeguard, (which still sucks because the people who answer phones and do registrations who have NO qualifications and NO legal responsibility for people's lives make more!) but I've heard in BC they make more because minimum wage is $10/hr over there.

EDIT: I just read GK's post and none of that seemed familliar to me. Except for healthcare, goods always seem to me to be far cheaper in the States. Have you ever lived in ON, GK?
                Last edited by GuardingYourLife; 08-04-2009, 04:46 AM.

Comment

I'm somewhere in between the two extremes here. I am fairly well off, as my parents are paying for the majority of my schooling, and we still take vacations every year. I still live at home, and don't see the need for much more than the part-time job I already have. However, this doesn't mean I'd scoff at 10 bucks an hour, for the most part. Certain jobs would have to pay me much more than that, but those are regularly featured on the Discovery Channel. I make about 12 bucks an hour, and have repeatedly offered to take a pay cut to help alleviate budget concerns. Frankly, I want a summer job to fill time, mostly, and for the work experience. I am looking towards volunteering to fulfill those needs. I can see the stigma in being stuck at an entry-level position for years, but there is no shame in occupying one in general. Hell, I've always wanted to be stuck behind a cash register, as opposed to maintainance or waiting tables or the like. Not because those jobs are shameful, but because I'd rather cashier.
                  All Hail Blortash, King of the Time Traveling Space Bears, who comes to us from Future Year 3032, known to us Earth Mortals as Regular 3032.

Comment

On another of my forums, there are a bunch of Canadian posters, but most of the members are from the US. From what they say, things are almost always more in Canada than they are in US. I can think of one particular carseat that runs about 45 dollars US (sometimes it's on sale for 40, sometimes it's about 50). In Canada, it starts at 89 dollars. Same exact seat.

Right now, the exchange rate is about even. If I were more educated I'd have more thoughts on the matter, but I'm not, and financial stuff confuses me, so...I'll shut up now.
                    you are = you're. not "your".

Comment

Canada gets taxed more heavily than the U.S. and some things are more expensive (Gas for one) but we also have universal healthcare. I'm not sure about standard of living costs but it all depends on where you live. Having lived in both countries, I haven't noticed a huge wage disparity between the two.
                      "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Working...
                      X